Saturday, 4 May 2013




Sat at home playing with my mobile and twittering away, when I come across a message from Welbeck Welfare FC, we are playing on a Friday as we cant win on a Saturday, lets hope this brings us a change in luck. I take a look at the CMFL Mitoo website and it says they are at home to Easington United..I thought it's not 1st April is it? For a 6.30pm kick off! I tweeted old friend Slush then rang Graham Hall the chair of Welbeck to confirm it was true. A league error? No, Easington Ressies are in a Cup Final on Saturday and some of the team want to see them play and others..well Hull City need to win to gain promotion!

I arrived at Welfare Ground around 6pm and there waiting outside the lovely changing rooms/canteen block was the 3 officials and a few Welbeck players. A Groundhopper from York was also there, awaiting the line up's, but after a cuppa, Welbeck players were there but no show as yet from the Eastenders, the ref was far from happy and said the game was 6.30pm kick off, then others said on Easington's website it was showing a 6.45pm kick off, the ref was beginning to get upset by now and said it will kick off at 6.30pm as it will get dark.

Easington arrived at 6.10pm, so all credit to them, but then the ref announced it was a 6.45pm, I was then chatting to Paul, who goes to loads of local matches and he is off on holiday to China in a few hours. The teams come out on to the pitch, after the ref decides he has had enough and off they go, Easington rush down to the pitch and the game is kicked off shortly before 6.42pm. Paul and I were then joined by Pete who I jokingly call my stalker, as he seems to attend quite a few of the same games.

Looking for hat full of goals here as the hosts have conceded 152 in their 26 games and had only 3 points from the opening day of the season and the visitors had recently beaten them 8-2 in the previous fixture. 

It didnt take long for the first goal to arrive, as after just 9 minutes, LEWIS ANDREW put the Eastenders into the lead. Welbeck begin to play some good football and you think to yourself, if they could play like this against other sides, they may just have a few more points, so in the 26th minutes, it comes as no surprise when CALLUM CHARITY levels the scores.

Welbeck seem to go to sleep then as the next away attack sees TOM McLAUGHLIN restore Easington's lead. Just before half time, Welbeck could well have been back on level terms when a 30 yard shot by Gareth Mason strikes the bar with the visiting keeper beaten.

A half time cuppa and a chat to hopper CherryHopper from Sussex, who was staying at Blyth Travel Lodge before visiting Brodsworth on Saturday and we bump in to the mystery Hopper, who doesnt wish to give his name but used to live in Quinton.

We stand together for the second half and discuss non league footie from all over the country and we dont have to wait long for another Easington goal to go in, when TOM McLAUGHLIN scores in the 49th minute

The game then goes through a typicial end of season bore, before the ref has to produce a yellow card for a player from each side after 78 minutes for handbags. On 80 minutes, Easington's LEWIS ANDREWS is showed a straight red for a kick out at a Welbeck player.

This doesnt seem to help Welbeck as the Eastenders are now in complete control of the game and they finish the game off in the 85th minute, when PAUL WILKINSON makes the final score 4-1.

As we were saying our goodbyes, Cherryhopper kindly handed me a donation to the Charity's blog, so thankyou, I cant believe how generous people are

The season that Welbeck have had, a lot of clubs would have thrown the towel in, but in the club after the lads were jolly and were proud to play for their team, which deserves great credit to them.



No comments:

Post a Comment