Thursday 27 September 2012

BRIDGERS DOB THE WALLS FOR FIVE

SWPL WEST DIVISION

WADEBRIDGE TOWN 5 DOBWALLS FC 1
att: 71

Admission, Programme, Badge, 2 raffle tickets £10

When planing my cornish holiday, this was one the fixtures that I saw and thought I've not been to Bodieve Park since a groundhop there many years ago. Last Sunday I picked up the Independant as it is a excellent paper and has a large section on Non League Football, perhaps the best Sunday rag in the country, where I was reading away folks columns and read the excellent Dave deacons and he mentioned me after i had bumped in to him last week at St Blazey and gave a nice review of the log here and also let folks know where I'd been and where I was going to.

On arrival at 6pm at Wadebridge FC, it had begun to rain yet again, so I headed up to see what the pitch looked like and it was perfect. The groundsman came and said hello to me and then asked if I would take the half time draw tickets over to the clubhouse when someone arrived as he had to pop out, no problem as long as i could have a go.

A lovely lady Becky turned up and club sec Andy arrived and opened up the clubhouse, I handed them the tickets and Andy a jolly fella had a good chat with me, as he was busy rushing around getting team sheets done etc, I spoke with Becky who used to play for the Clubs Ladies team. The clubs treasurer  Barry came along and went and got me my programmes and we had a little chat. I then fetched the wife and my son from the car and we had a drink before I ventured in to the rainy night.

I stood near to the corner flag as the teams came out and admired the unusual shape of the ground, on the far side and behind the top goal it is set on a bank and so are the dugouts. To the right of me was their impressive seated stand and behind the near goal was a seated stand. As I was about to go and take up my seat on the half way line, I was introduced to Damian who is the editor of the clubs excellent programme(the best I've seen in the SWPL for some time).. we had a brief chat and I had noticed that he had a page on my blog in the programme to which I thanked him,,he welcomed me over for refreshments at half time in the clubhouse.

The game kicked off and after 14 minutes, a cross from a free kick by NICK DOWLING evaded everyone and the ball nestled into the empty net to give the Bridgers the lead. Five minutes later, a corner came over and PAUL COX headed home from close to double Town's advantage. The visitors seemed to be struggling with set plays and yet again from a corner the home captain MARTIN COOK rose and head his teams 3rd after just 24 minutes. We then had to wait 10 more minutes as chance after chance went begging for the home side who could well have been eight up by now but 34 minutes and NICK DOWLING scored from the spot.


At half time,I had a quick chat with League Sec Phil Hiscox as he had gone down to Penzance v St Blazey..I went in to the clubhouse and was called over to the hospitality table and the clubs chairman offered to take me round the ground after the match..I spoke to a few of the Dobwalls Committee and despite the fact their team were 4 down they were in a pleasant mood.

The Second Half saw both sides make several changes so the speed of the game seemed to alter towards the visitors and after 58 minutes a cross shot by JACK BARTLETT in to the bottom right hand corner reduced the arrears. Whilst Wadebridge tried to play on the counter they seemed to be playing in to Dobwall's offside trap most times and infact the visitors went on to hit the post twice hit the post, but as we reached injury time and the home club could have added to their tally if not for the brave keeping of the visiting keeper, he could do nothing when sub DAN JENNINGS smashed the ball past him to make it 5-1. Then something a bit odd and the first time I have ever witnessed this, the ref blew for full time before he re-started the game..Maybe a new rule I dont know.

After the match I was taken round the building under the main stand and shown the changing rooms and the lovely facilities..I said goodbye to all the people I'd met and all of them were very friendly..def a ground I would come back and visit again. Very warm club and shame more locals dont come out and have a look at what they have on their own back door.

 For photos taken from this match(pity very few turned out)

Follow me on Twitter

Wadebridge Town FC Website

Dobwalls FC Website



No comments:

Post a Comment