Saturday, 29 September 2012


Notts Senior League
Division Two
Well the past 2 weeks I have been on holiday down in Cornwall, but we booked out of our chalet at 6.30am and got on the road..The A30 was very quiet and we soon had breakfast near Okehampton..Just after reaching Exeter and on the local news came a traffic report and a lorry had hit something on the M5 and 2 lanes were blocked, so a quick detour through Wellington and then Taunton and back on the M5 solved route. We stopped on the M42 for a cuppa and I looked at my watch and realized we would be back in Nottingham to catch a match close to home. I checked on the NSL Website and Moorgreen FC caught my eye, a new club to senior football in their first season playing NSL newcomers Ashland Rovers..Funny enough the Moors player/sec Neil Smith added me to facebook recently and invited me to see a match at Birnam Park. So I rang Neil to confirm the game was on and then tweeted I was going there, long came a reply that fellow blogger Rob Campion was to be there to.

A long time since I have been to this ground when now defunct club Priory Eastwood used to play there, it must have been 1993 when I saw them play and I do recall Nuthall FC playing a handful of games there, but there has only been junior kids teams play there for a long time, so its good to see Adult Footie back where it belongs.

At 2.30pm, the home side came out to parade their brand new kit for the first time, so a photo shoot was taken by me and Rob Campion. We was then joined by Kirkby Fred who now follows Ashland Rovers.

Kick off came and play was very even for the first 15 minutes, but then the away side began to step up their game and on 20 minutes MARK CANNON rifled home a half volley from 25 yards. The home side seem to huff and puff but it was the away side at this point that was having the possession of the play but to no avail, but on the half hour Moorgreen thought they were level when they appealed that the ball had crossed the line, but I was too far to see if it had or not and the ref was in a far better position then me.

Just before Half time, Rob Campion bought me and hazel a nice cuppa and then I had a chat with a few faces that I knew from around the local scene that is folks!

The Second Half and both teams tried to press forward but each team seem to cancel each other out and just as it looked like the away side had snatched the three points with eleven minutes to go MATTHEW CLOWES chipped the outcoming away keeper to equalise. Just before the end, a away player was shown the red card for violent conduct, but I must have missed what ever the player did, as all I saw was a tug on the shirt, but something may have happened on the blind side of me.

Photos from todays match can be view on this link

You can follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment