Sunday, 3 March 2013




After Attenborough FC had to sadly withdraw from this seasons NSL Groundhop due to the Strand Ground building work on their changing rooms not being able to be completed for the 19th April, I spoke with Officials of the Notts Senior League Committee to find a replacement Friday evening match and we felt that Magdala would be a ideal venue as some of the hoppers are staying in the West Bridgford Guest Houses and it is close to the City Centre, infact the bus drops you near as damn it on the pitch at the ROKO Centre on Wilford Lane.

I arrived early and took a stroll around the pitchside and what struck me was that you are abou 1 1/2 out of the city centre but here is a beauty of a ground, with a nature walk at the back end of the ground and the wide open space of greenland the pitch is set in.

Though I lived in Clifton during my 1st marriage for nearly 20 years, this was the first time I'd ever visited this ground and only the second time I had seen Magdala play, having seen them 2 weeks ago away at Bulwell FC.

On the Car Park, I was greeted by the Sandhurst crew and then near the changing rooms the home manager Dave Charlesworth. We had a chat about the upcoming Groundhop and how already we have over 100 Advanced Tickets sold, my target was 100, last season we sold 128, I just wonder if we can beat that target.

The match began with both teams carving out good chances, but it should have been the home side  who took the lead after 4 minutes when a long range shot bounced off the crossbar. The game was swinging end to end and after 25 minutes it was a throughball that saw the Sandhurst striker slide the ball past the tall keeper to give the visitors the lead. On 27 minutes, the home defence was caught asleep when the visitors increased their lead to 2-0. From the kick off Magdala stepped up their game and a nice ball in from the right wing saw the striker scoop the ball home to reduce the arrears to 1-2. On 35 minutes and with the visitors on the back foot and run and drive followed by a shot saw the Sandhurst keeper at full stretch to no avail as the ball was in the back of the net to make it 2-2.

During the Half time break I met the Magdala's President who chattered to me throughout the Second Half, a lovely gent wit a lot of local knowledge.

After 55 minutes, Magdala took the lead for the first time in the game after a mix up in the Sandhurst defence. On the hour, Sandhurst were reduced to 10 men after a off the ball incident which the referee was well positioned to see. This seemed to upset the visitors and whilst they complained, Magdala took no notice and carried on playing football and 7 minutes from time wrapped the game up with a 4th goal.

Magdala Amateurs FC Facebook Page

Photos from the match

No comments:

Post a Comment